NEWS-HR

Two Victorian mental health patients have taken their fight against compulsory electro-shock therapy to the Supreme Court. A man named as “PBU” has received six electroconvulsive therapy sessions against his will while hospitalised for mental health issues in Melbourne, and is fighting an order for more, Victoria Legal Aid says. A woman, “NJE”, who is receiving treatment has also been ordered to undergo 12 sessions against her will. “Each of my clients understands this procedure and is terrified of it,” barrister Emrys Nekvapil told the Supreme Court of Victoria on Monday. The case focuses on whether a person has the capacity to give informed consent and how treatment options should be considered.

A former senior SA Health employee convicted of orchestrating an elaborate scam involving fake work-related death threats has been taken into custody after an appeal court ruled her home detention sentence was “manifestly inadequate”. Simon Craig Peisley, 41, and Tabitha Lean, 39, were found guilty of more than 40 deception charges for faking racist death threats to themselves, their children and colleagues. Lean was director of the Aboriginal Health Services division of SA Health and her husband was also employed there. As a result of the threats, SA Health paid for the couple to live in apartments at North Adelaide, paid for extensive private hospital stays and psychological care, and sent them on interstate holidays. The couple also received WorkCover payments and had been negotiating a compensation payout of $580,000. The sentencing judge described the offending as “bizarre” and “outrageous” and said it had “shattered” the reputation of the department.

NSW public hospitals have been graded by their doctors in training in the Hospital Health Check Survey report published Monday. No NSW hospital scored an “A” mark for their overall performance in the report published Monday by the Alliance NSW (AMA NSW and Australian Salaried Medical Officers Federation). Among greater Sydney’s hospitals, the following scored an overall C: Bankstown-Lidcombe, Blacktown, Campbelltown and Camden, Concord and Canterbury, Liverpool and Fairfield, Nepean, RPA, St George and Sutherland, St Vincent’s, The Childrens Hospitals, Prince of Wales and Westmead. Only The Royal North Shore, and the North Sydney LHD hospital grouping of Hornsby, Manly and Mona Vale hospitals scored an overall “B” mark. The two measures with the most C and D grades were “rostering and overtime” and “wellbeing”, with no NSW hospital scoring A and only a handful scoring B. RPA, St Vincent’s, Bankstown-Lidcombe, Westmead, and St George and Sutherland hospitals each scored two D marks, one for “rostering and overtime”, and the other for “wellbeing”.

A s.604 (Appeal of decisions) by the National Union of Workers against Sigma Company Limited T/A Sigma Healthcare has been determined. The full bench ruled denial of natural justice – decision quashed – matter referred to single member for hearing of application for approval.

A s.238 (Scope order) application by the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation-Northern Territory Branch has been approved by Commissioner Wilson in Melbourne on 8 August 2017. This matter concerns an application for a scope order made by the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation in respect of bargaining proposed for a new enterprise agreement for certain employees of the Miwatj Health Aboriginal Corporation.

A s.185 (Enterprise agreement) application by Wurli-Wurlingjang Aboriginal Corporation for its Wurli-Wurlinjang Enterprise Agreement 2017 has been approved by Commissioner Johns in Sydney on 10 August 2017.

The Queensland State Government is refusing to guarantee it will release details of a review into the death of a homeless veteran allegedly assaulted at the Gold Coast University Hospital. A patient accused of murdering the 53-year-old army veteran was dropped off by police about an hour before the alleged bashing in an Emergency Department toilet around 8am last Friday. After John Imber died of serious head injuries last Sunday, a row has erupted between police and Gold Coast Health about responsibility for the other patient.

A patient with Alzheimer’s disease curled up her toes and screamed in agony for days because nurses forgot to administer her pain killers. Her plight was one of a number of disturbing and bizarre cases identified during a federal investigation into Cooinda, a 60-bed aged care home run very badly by Queensland Health at Kippa-Ring, north of Brisbane. “Medications were dispensed by the pharmacy, however medications were observed as not given and still in an unopened packet,” says a report by the Federal Government’s Aged Care Quality Agency, marked “sensitive”. The leaked report says the neglected woman, 52, was suffering severe leg pain. She also suffered from epilepsy and cognitive impairment. However, she “appeared comfortable” after the mistake was rectified, according to the agency’s assessment team, headed by Margaret Williamson with assistance from Jill Winny and Tara Quirke. There were delays in delivering other pain medication and eye drops to elderly residents. Most perplexing was the case of the missing reading glasses, with “four or five pairs” found buried in a garden. And a search of one violent patient’s room uncovered a hoard of weapons.